Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Squashes and Courgettes

 Still haven't had any rain yet!  We were promised a heavy downpour, thunder, lightning and floods and there was just a 30 second sprinkle this morning.  Meanwhile my Defender Courgettes are loving the heat.  I always grow Defender because they are really resistant to the cucumber mosaic virus.
 Now these lovely little squashes were given to me with a plant label saying Patty Pan.. obviously not, but they do look like one of the Italian squashes Tondo di Nizza from Seeds of Italy.
From the same gift these should be Lebanese squash.  They are all coming along nicely.

8 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Hi there

Your courgettes do look like Tondo Di Nizza. I grow these and they are just like your photos.

By the way, you sent me some Mrs Fortunes beans a couple of years ago. They are still going strong and are my favourite bean. They are on the edge of my allotment this year and I have had many people ask me what bean they are as the lilac flowers look so pretty.

Thanks again for them.

Donna

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Having had very poor results with Squashes in the preceding couple of years, I decided not to grow any this year. Bad choice! The very warm conditions we are experiencing would probably make them do really well.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Having had very poor results with Squashes in the preceding couple of years, I decided not to grow any this year. Bad choice! The very warm conditions we are experiencing would probably make them do really well.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Mal said...

I'm another Defender fan. Also I always grow too many because I can't bring myself to discard any seedlings! This year we're heading foe an avalanche. We got the rain yesterday - about 50mm was forecast and I think it arrived. It was a bit scary with the lightning.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Whoops : they are in fact Ronde de Nice
A round FRENCH HEIRLOOM zucchini from Provence,


Sorry Stan

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Stan - they were gorgeous anyway! xx

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Natalie Cleary said...

They look good. Hope they turn out delicious!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your courgette and squash are looking good, and a bit further on than mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>