Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 15, 2013

It's a Jungle Out There!

 The UK has been basking in high temperatures for a couple of weeks now and it looks to continue for a while yet.  Lots of plants on my allotment have been LOVING IT!  Squashes, corn and tomatoes have been having a serious growing episode.
 My outdoor tomatoes have been running rampage.  I really do try to pinch out the side shoots almost every day, but some just escape me and I find I have some full sized plants with 4 or 5 main stalks.  All of these I have tied to separate canes and supported with string cages.
 It's a jungle out there!  Fortunately I have a lovely bag of raffia (a sort of natural straw string) so I can cut lengths and tie in stems and shoots all over the place.
 It is looking a bit tidier out there, flowers have set well and  I am looking forward to a bumper crop this year.
 By the way, if you are growing Runner Beans this year you might find that flower set is very poor unless you keep the flowers damp.  Runner beans pollinate better in rain or wet conditions, so I have been spraying or misting the flowers regularly as well as watering and feeding the roots.
Leo has been keeping cool in the back garden with his own paddling pool!  Poor boy really doesn't cope with the hot weather too well, but seems to be much much better when he cools down like this.

3 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Haha Leo living it up in his own little pool, matron you spoil him rotten....but he's worth it. Glad you are both well.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

You are a tomato Queen! and I love Leo so much, am I a bad mommy that Maggie hasn't one

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall start leeks today so as to have flowers asap for butterflies. P.W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>