Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Help! I'm Drowning!

 It is all coming at once down on Matron's allotment at the moment.  No problem at all getting my 5-a-day right now, but what to do with all this lovely produce?  I've been eating as much as I can, and running out of ideas.
 I just have to take a step back and enjoy the moment.  Just having a think about those long, dark, cold Winter months when supermarket veggies are tasteless and horrid. Longing for the day when I can look on a trug-full like this.
 or this.... these Beefmaster tomatoes have been amazing this year. So plentiful that many of the bamboo canes holding up the plants have just snapped and fallen over.
 Fortunately my veggie-loving gardening companion eats his fair share.
 The rules of the garden are that the tomato plants on the patio are his.. (he picks his own)... and the rest are mine. But even this furry stomach-on-legs can't get through this many.
 I go away for a lovely Bank Holiday weekend, and look what happens while I'm gone! all these courgettes were running riot in just two days.  All I can say is....
Bon Apetite!

4 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Fantastic! A great result, Matron. I'm glad that it's not just me that has good crop of tomatoes. I see lots of people saying 2013 is a bad year for tomatoes - but it's not for me.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger CJ said...

It's a bit of the same here as well. I'm trying to freeze what I can't use right now. I'm thinking of drying some little tomatoes in the oven. Just the other day I was thinking that this is the time of year we long for in the winter, when there is so much produce. So I am really trying to make the most of it.

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have tomatoes, but not as many as you! I planned to make tomato sauce in jars if I had a big harvest, but at the moment it is just enough for the salad.
Tomato and basil is my favourite :)

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really has been a bumper year this year. Your harvest looks great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>