Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Apples for Free!

 RHS Garden Wisley has had a bumper harvest of apples this year and is inviting visitors to come and ‘forage for free’ in the Orchard and share in the glut of autumn fruit. All members and visitors need to do is bring a bag, turn up between Wednesday 30th October and Sunday 3rd November (10am-4pm) and help themselves for free.  You will have to pay the entrance fee to the garden but RHS Members can enter for free.

The event is a one off chance to take home some of the 600 different cultivars of apples that are grown at Wisley. These include cultivars like Flower of Kent, which grew in Sir Isaac Newton’s garden; Old Pearmain which has been grown in Britain since 1200ad and the Codling, which is mentioned in Shakespeare.
 
If you happen to be around Surrey from tomorrow till Sunday, then turn up with a bag and fill up!

5 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

What a good idea to allow people to 'forage' for the fruit, I hope it all gets collected it would be such a shame if it is not appreciated. I would love to have seen your recipe for the coated and fried courgettes when we had our glut but will remember for next year!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

I would love to go, but I have already filled my freezer to bursting after raiding my sister's orchard! All those different types though - I may sneak in a quick trip with a 'small' bag...

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Caro said...

What a great idea and opportunity! I expect quite a lot of apples have fallen in the recent high winds so I hope lots of people turn up! There were plenty of windfalls at Which? orchard in Enfield last week and I was horrified that they were just allowed to rot on the ground - what a waste!
Thanks for flagging up this great opportunity!

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this - I just happened to read it on Oct 31st and managed to get to Wisley and gather lots of apples and pears! THANK YOU

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do hope you are on some wonderful oddessey e since you last wrote about apples at Wisley rather than being incapacitated. I have missed your musings. Come back soon!

Alison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>