Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Oxford Covered Market

 Regular readers will know that Matron just loves to visit produce markets around the world. So this week I took a trip just about an hour away to Oxford Covered Market.  This market has been here for hundreds of years.
 First stop, before I loaded myself with shopping, was to climb up the Carfax Tower at the end of the high street.  A rare moment of clear, blue sky over the 'dreaming spires' of Oxford.
 A spectacular collection of market stalls!
 Locally produced and named varieties. Here you can see these January King cabbages.

So, on to the Oxford Cheese Company.  How could I resist a gourmet selection of local and European cheese.  I bought a very naughty chunk of ripe French Brie, infused with truffles.
 Their speciality is the Oxford Blue cheese.
 You want sausages!  well here is the place. A place of worship for lovers of the good old fashioned banger!  Just look at that Cumberland wheel!
Professionally butchered meat and game.  Just another couple of weeks for wild pheasant and the season is over.  I can most highly recommend a trip to Oxford.

4 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I have happy memories of that market, from back when I was a student at the Uni! I wonder if George's Cafe is still there. Their speciality was a huge mug of tea with bread-and-dripping, which was surprisingly popular.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

The King Cabbages look beautiful! Did you resist? Poor dear pheasants (((

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Great market pics. Now j know what my jan king cabbGe should look like!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Ockduspock said...

OH my goodness, look at those pheasant! Do they come with pellets in them?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>