Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Winter Wonders

 Not much is happening on the allotment at the moment, but with just a little pre-planning there are still a few wonderful Winter colours to be seen. Just look at this Ruby Chard. Worth growing just for decoration I think.
 I haven't been able to get out on to the plot for weeks now, it has been under water and on my heavy London clay it is just not possible to walk on it at all.
 But I donned a pair of wellies and took the plunge this afternoon to see what's out there. Just look at my rhubarb patch coming to life.  I must give them a good mulch of rotted manure and compost to keep them happy.
 Look at this little baby rhubarb leaf bursting through the bud. What a miracle of nature!
 The biggest surprise of all is that my Purple Sprouting Broccoli is starting to come out already.
This is an extra early variety called Rudolph.  I've not had it this early before, perhaps I planted it a bit earlier in the late Summer and it had time to establish.  I hope this keeps going through till March!

10 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Blogger Mal said...

Can hardly believe your rhubarb is emerging already, Matron!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

MY rhubarb and PSB is also doing swell , as the garlic and the leeks

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear that chard will grow anywhere, anytime! Your rhubarb is certainly impressive too, I'm praying that my one plant has made it through this wet winter and not rotted away

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Matt Hiemstra said...

And to think my garden is still covered in snow! So jealous!

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Lee said...

Blimey. Just goes to show what a difference a couple of hundred miles makes. Our rhubarb is nowhere near yet.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Nice to see plants giving out colour in January over in UK....

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Claire said...

The colour on the Chard is beautiful!, and I cant believe your rhubarb is up already, lets hope theres no significant cold snap

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your rhubarb is coming up nicely and is ahead of mine. The ruby chard is fab looking.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Boo Textiles said...

I love your photos - beautiful colours.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The broccoli looks great! I have never had any luck with Purple Sprouting Broccoli in my climate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>