Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, February 24, 2014

Chitting Time

 There have been quite a few debates, trials and comparisons between potatoes that have been chitted and those which have not.  Chitting is just allowing the seed potatoes to develop small growing shoots before you plant them in the ground.
 The bottom end of the potato is where it was attached to the root of the plant. This is a bit like an umbilical cord.
 At the opposite end of the potato are the eyes from where the shoots start to grow - or chit.
 Seed potatoes should be unwrapped immediately and set out somewhere frost free and in the light.  Do not keep them in the dark or they will develop white, brittle and straggly shoots. I have these in a garden shed next to a window.
I don't know much about Oca, but I assume that as these are tubers that they will need the same chitting treatment.

3 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Blogger Lee said...

I love coming home from work to a living room window full of chitting spuds. Better times are coming! Those Oca look mad, I'm off to google them now!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Was a bit stumped as to what to chit my potatoes in, then found the ice cube tray - perfect! Now sitting on the windowsill and sprouting nicely. Those oca do look nice, I wonder what they taste like?

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

The oca look interesting. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>