Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, March 24, 2014

New Shoots

 I am beginning to plant some tomato seeds in the heated propagator in the greenhouse. One variety I am looking forward to seeing is this new Indigo Rose black tomato.  I wonder if they are truly as black as the photo on the packet suggests, or if it is really just a dark purple. We shall see.
 It is just so exciting to see the growing season beginning again.
These little tomato seedlings are germinating quite well. Varieties here are Harlequin, chocolate cherry, Sungold, Golden Jubilee, Gardeners Delight.  Roll on Summer!

6 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

My first tomatoes are up today too!
I suspect you are right about "Indigo Rose" - they will almost certainly not be black.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

It is always exciting when little seedlings start to show. Looks like you are using vermiculite; I have started using it recently?

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are cute, tiny seedlings and the colour of these tomatoes is rather uncommon. I wonder how it tastes. I'm trying Moneymaker and Roma this year:)

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Hi Matron, it will be interesting to see what the black tomatoes taste like as well.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

The Indigo Rose do look like the picture mid-way to ripe, but are actually more maroon/burgundy when completely ripe. I did not like the taste and thought the skin to be tough. They did look pretty in a salad!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Nome said...

Oooh, I was reading about these the other day - will have to try them next year. Looking forward to seeing how they do for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>