Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Slug Wars

 Funny things going on in Matron's fridge at the moment!  I ordered a box of Nemaslug to try to get control of the number of slugs on my allotment.  We've just had a very wet, very mild Winter and I fear that it will be a bumper year for slugs and snails. Better get on top of them at the beginning of the season.  My elderly Mother wanted to know what the blue and green box was in her fridge! "One hundred million worms, Mother" was the reply!
 This comes as a pale powder that you dilute in a 2 gallon watering can.  The nematode worms live in damp soil and when they come in contact with a slug they begin to kill it. The soil has to be kept damp so that they can survive.
In about a week the slugs should have stopped eating.  To be honest, I don't know if this works or not!  I will never know how it would have been if I hadn't used it!  To me, it just seems like a good idea to reduce the numbers at the beginning of the season. Safe to use with pets and wildlife, so a bit better than pellets.

6 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

very interesting thing! let us updated about because, if it works, I will buy it too!!!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Lee said...

We used it a couple of years ago. Impossible to tell exactly what difference it made of course, but things that would normally take a hammering from the gastropods (lettuce etc) all did unusually well. Hope it works out for you!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Noemi said...

Hi Matron!
Well done, it sounds an excellent idea to act now rather then later.
Nemaskug works really well, I suggest them to all my clients and they have always come back with a good feedback! :)

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I hate pellets too, I worry that birds will eat them etc. We tried nematodes last year but as you say, how can you really tell if works!? :) Good luck! Die slugs, die!!!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

You are a better man that I am Gunga Din! I could not bear the thought of all those nematodes waiting patiently in my fridge, what if the packaging got damaged and got damp while still in the fridge?!I can see why you would want to control the slugs before they get out and about though.

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Paul said...

Did it work? I've just ordered some nematodes as a last desperate attempt to save myself from slugs this spring

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>