Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Matron goes to Grenada - at RHS Chelsea

 One of my favourite stands in the Great Pavillion at Chelsea Flower show was the stand from Grenada.  Also known as the 'Spice Island' there was a fascinating display of spices.  They were also giving out samples of a lethal 'Rum Punch' - good job I was not driving home.. it was wonderful!
 Mace is a layer which surrounds the Nutmeg.  This is one of the most well known spices from Grenada.
 Who could overlook the Cocoa bean!  Whoever thought to open the pod, ferment and dry the seeds, roast and grind them up and make a delicious drink? Whoever you are... thank you.
 Cinnamon is the bark of a tree.  So was it the same person who thought to strip, roll and dry the bark of a tree?  Whoever you are.. thank you.
 Cloves are a dried flower bud.
 And these are the outer husks of nutmeg seeds which are used as a mulch. It smells wonderful when the sun warms it up.
 but one of the highlights of my day was meeting this person.  Can you see what he was wearing?  It was my honour to meet Sergeant Johnson Biharry VC.  One of the other amazing products of Grenada.


3 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Seems I need a trip to Grenada then...my favourite spices all in the one place, plus chocolate! Right, I'm off xx

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger islandgal246 said...

Loved this post about my birth country. You must visit one day and stop over in Barbados.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Is Grenada where Grenadine Syrup originates, I wonder?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>