Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, June 07, 2014

First New Potatoes

 I planted one first early seed potato in a pot in the greenhouse.
 The variety Vanessa is a first early.
 I had a little poke around the surface of the pot today and to my surprise I found a decent sized potato. 
 I couldn't believe that so soon I could have such a lovely little treat.  There is nothing in the world quite like your own, first early new potatoes.
 Mother nature also had it in mind that fresh mint should also be available at just the right time.
 Just a run under the tap was all it took to clean these up. No scrubbing.
Just 20 minutes of steaming under fresh mint and these were ready for a knob of butter.  Perfect!

2 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

As you say, perfect. Not wishing to brag or anything, I have 26 similar pots. :) I too harvested my first one this weekend. Mine was "Sharpe's Express".

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

The potatoes look really appetizing, bet they were very tasty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>