Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 05, 2014

Winter Squash

This little squash Delicata is another of my all time favourites.  I have Paula to thank at Petunia's Garden blog to thank for introducing me to this little gem.
Also known as the 'Sweet Potato Squash' this has a wonderful dry, sweet texture and comes in a handy meal size.  It is a good keeper too, I have picked these squash to cure out in the sun for a couple of weeks.  Exposure to the sun and to the elements after picking will harden the skin and allow it to store for longer in the  Winter months.
Elsewhere on the plot my Queensland Blue squash have very different appearances on three different plants from the same seed packet.  The photo above shows these typical square shoulders that are a feature of this variety.
The shape is slightly different on another plant.  Squash are notorious for cross-pollinating with other varieties, I tend to buy packets of seed if I can.. This next one is different as well.
The third plant has produced a silvery squash that looks more like a Crown Prince.  I'm sure they will all be delicious.
Meanwhile back at the garlic chives, the honey bees are just loving these flowers.  I'm definitely going to make an effort to plant more bee-friendly flowers in my veggie garden.
I wonder if this honey is going to taste of garlic?

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Yes my love of veggies is now diversifying to more flowers and herbs, the bees loving the flowers on my mint at the moment

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Kev Alviti said...

My squash have gone crazy this year but I like your tips on picking the mature fruit so more come. I normally just leave it until the plant dies off to harvest them. maybe I should change my ways!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>