Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, June 19, 2015

More New Potatoes

I dug one of my potato plants today.  This variety is Red Duke of York.  Stunning to look at, but not quite as good in the flavour department.  Very floury potatoes that fell apart with even the gentlest of simmering.  Probably better as mash.  Let's see if the other plants are the same.  I prefer the Epicure new potatoes you see in the background here.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Mal said...

I'm growing Red DoY this year too. Couldn't find any Epicure! My other half has a preference for floury tatties so this looks good. (We are a bit behind you in Scotland)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I agree with your comments about this variety. "All mouth and no trousers" as they say!

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Hailey~FurnishMyWay said...

Potatoes are a tricky thing. But I bet they would make for great mashed potatoes as you said! Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>