Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Perfect for Pollinators

 It is not just decorative flowers that the bees and pollinating insects adore.  I have noticed that the simple nature of fruit and vegetable flowers are actually preferred.  I saw lots of different types of bees and wasps on my blackberry flowers yesterday.
 We must all encourage pollinators into our allotments and gardeners, perhaps you could leave a vegetable to go to seed for a few more weeks and it will flower.  Have a look at the RHS scheme Perfect for Pollinators to see other ways you can encourage beneficial insects to your patch.
 Meanwhile elsewhere on the patch these Tayberries are just ripening nicely.  This is the first year for this new plant,  A Tayberry is a hybrid between a raspberry and a blackberry.  The taste is exactly that! Quite nice.
And I'm not the only person who thinks they are quite nice....

3 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Haha cheeky little blackbird.... They also like the finer things in life

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Isn't it ironic that so many private individuals like yourself are trying so hard to help the bees, while the big multi-national chemical companies seems set on destroying them?!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Matron loves flowers (secretly!) haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>