Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

How to Make Felafel

 I should have picked these Broad Beans while they were small and tender.  Quite a few have grown fairly large, and if steamed and eaten the skins are tough and leathery and the beans have a bitter taste.
 But I have always wanted to make Felafel, a Middle Eastern or Southern Mediterranean dish usually made with chick peas, but in some places like Egypt, they also add Broad Beans.
 So after steaming them, they can be skinned easily. The green inside just pops out.  Try to get them as dry and firm as possible and the recipe recommends leaving them in a refrigerator overnight to harden.  These can be mashed or blended with finely chopped onions, garlic, a tin of drained chick peas.
 The spices I used were salt, cumin, coriander and chilli.  These are blended together with some self raising flour until the consistency holds together in a firm paste.
 The paste is moulded into shapes and a little more flour used to stop them sticking.  Some Felafel are shaped into golf ball sized  lumps and deep fried.
 I thought I would shape mine into little patties.  So again I am leaving them in the fridge to dry and firm up overnight.
They smell divine already!  I will let you know how they taste tomorrow!

2 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

I made falafals from Hodmedod's dried split fava beans (broad beans, grown in East Anglia) http://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/17984248-egyptian-falafels-or-ta-amia-made-with-split-fava-beans
and these are the best falafals we've ever tasted!
Hodmedod's other recipes are great too.
C xx

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger The Boy Ollerton said...

Fab crop there Matron! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>