Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Hardening Off

 This is the first year in my new veggie garden.  I took some Rhubarb crowns from my old allotment, it looks as if they are quite happy in their new home.  I won't take any stalks this year because I should let them develop a nice new root system and settle down before I pick a crop... well maybe just one or two if no one is looking!
 Just to fill the space in my vegetable planters I have filled the gaps with some Lollo Rosso lettuces.  This part of the veggie growing year is known as 'The Hungry Gap' just when Winter crops have finished and before Summer crops start.
 I was given this 4 tier growhouse about 10 years ago as a gift but never used it.  So yesterday I decided to assemble it to help harden off some of the seedlings I have growing in my propagator under a grow light.
 Happy with this one!  The shelves are removable so that I can grow taller plants inside later on in the year. Meanwhile some little plants will be happy to harden off in here.
Just during the sunny day time I bring out my Joe's Long Chilli plants.  Nice and healthy looking under the grow light, but need to harden off slowly.

3 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Yeah, this is cool! I've been looking forward to seeing your new veg growing space. Rhubarb is a hardy plant, I love the way it can cope with moving, splitting etc. hugs xx

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Yeah, this is cool! I've been looking forward to seeing your new veg growing space. Rhubarb is a hardy plant, I love the way it can cope with moving, splitting etc. hugs xx

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

Those chilliest are triffids : they're huge

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>